Zvenigorod is located in the Moscow region in 50 km to the West of Moscow.
Back in the 12th century on the territory of modern city stood a fortified settlement, which was founded by Yuri Dolgoruky. In 1339 Ivan Kalita gave the settlement of my son and it became a center of an independent Principality. Here was constructed the Kremlin, known as the Town. In the late 14th – early 15th centuries during the reign of the son of Dmitry Donskoy – Yuri Dmitrievich – the Kremlin has strengthened the system of ramparts and defensive wall with towers, inside the Kremlin built Uspensky Cathedral, and near the Kremlin, erected the Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery. Zvenigorod persevered and during the Tatar-Mongol invasion, and during the Troubles, although it was partially destroyed. After the loss of his defensive value Zvenigorod city became a trade with two suburbs – Upper and Lower. In the late 17th century it was the country residence of Tsar Alexis Mikhailovich, the Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery became the center of the Tsar’s pilgrimage. In 1781 Zvenigorod became a district town. In the 19th century Zvenigorod, who turned aside from the new trade routes, becomes quiet town, where to go abroad for holidays residents of Moscow and the surrounding area. To this day the picturesque nature the city, the availability of historical attractions and resorts attract many tourists.
Next to the Town in 1398 disciple of St. Sergius of Radonezh – Savoy – was founded Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery. This is one of the main attractions of Zvenigorod. In the 17th century during the reign of Tsar Alexis Mikhailovich, the monastery was surrounded by stone walls and its territory were built Palace, and the king’s chamber. Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery has always been revered Royal families and was the center of the Tsar’s pilgrimage. In the monastery there were 5 temples. Survived the single-domed Cathedral of the Nativity of the virgin (1405), decorated with white-stone carvings and frescoes of the 17th century, in which the relics of the monk Savva of Zvenigorod; the Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh (late 17th century), located on the second floor of the monastery belfry and Church of the Transfiguration (late 17th century). In the 21st century for the monastery bell was cast new-Toned bell, the weight of which amounted to 35 tons, and its height is about 4 meters Near the Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery stands Savvinsky monastery, where in 1862 was built a Church in the name of the monk Savva. It was erected next to the cave, which, according to legend, was a place of solitude the monk Savva. About Savinskogo skete there are remains of ancient settlements from the mound repository.
The city is also interesting merchant’s manor of the 19th century, among which are the house Стариченкова and estate complexes suburb – Vvedensky, two Banquet rooms, Dutkovo and Dunino. Embankment Zvenigorod – a great place for walks.