7 most interesting places in the city of Kushva
The date of foundation of the city of Kushva (Sverdlovsk region) is considered to be 1735, when a rich deposit of iron ore was discovered on Mount Blagodat. Vogul Stepan Chumpin became the discoverer of the deposit. He showed the "iron mountain" to the Russians in the spring of 1735. Later, the head of the Ural mining plants V.N. Tatishchev. The mountain was named after the Empress Anna Ioannovna (the name Anna in Hebrew means "grace"). The local ore was of high quality and rich in iron. In the same 1735, the construction of the Kushva iron-smelting plant began on the Kushva River. It was launched on September 6, 1739.
I propose to get acquainted with the 7 most interesting sights of modern Kushva.
1. Mount Grace and the Chumpin monument
It is best to start your acquaintance with Kushva from the Grace Mountain, which determined the emergence of this settlement. This is the main attraction of the city. Mount Grace is still the high-rise dominant of Kushva and is visible from almost everywhere. The main ore resources were concentrated on its top and eastern slope, so the western slope facing the city has been preserved.
The ore was mined in the open pit, and later by the mine method. A deep and extensive quarry was formed. It is called Central. The diameter of the quarry is more than 1 km, the depth is 315 m. At the edge of the quarry there is an observation deck on which a monument to Stepan Chumpin is erected. This monument is the main symbol of Kushva.
It is worth noting that the first monument in honor of the discovery of a deposit on Mount Blagodati appeared by the order of Vasily Tatishchev - from an ore column rising "from the ground 4 arshin or a little more" on the top of the mountain. By the beginning of the 19th century, when the development approached Tatishchev's "pillar", it was melted down without copying the inscription on it. When a new cast-iron monument was erected in 1826, they indicated the approximate date, and the text was wise too, based on the legend that had spread by that time.
In 1933, the 19th century monument was melted down. The bowl and the board from it were transferred to the Sverdlovsk Regional Museum of Local Lore, where they can be seen today (in the Museum of History and Archeology in Yekaterinburg). In 1970, at the initiative of the workers of the Goroblagodatsky mine, based on casts from the originals made by the artist P. Yanushev, a new monument was cast and installed on the preserved ledge of the mountain.
The monument to Stepan Chumpin on the Grace Mountain looks like a cast-iron pedestal with a metal bowl, above which a tongue of flame rises. The monument has a cast-iron plaque with the text: “Vogul Stepan Chumpin was burnt here in 1730” (although the deposit was discovered only 5 years later). According to legend, other Voguls burned Chumpin on the top of the mountain for showing it to the Russians. However, the fact of burning is not confirmed and is a gradually entrenched fiction. And the Voguls have never been so bloodthirsty.
From the observation deck you can see the open pit, the headframe of an operating mine, the ruins of the country's first sinter plant, and on the other hand, the city and the Kushvinsky pond.
2. Gallery Friendship
On the slope of the mountain, not far from the modern observation deck, the Druzhba adit operated in the past. It was an impressive architectural structure. The entrance to the adit was decorated with two towers in the Gothic style, reminiscent of a fairytale castle. The adit was passed from the slope of the mountain into excavation No. 2. Through it, the haulage of the mined ore in trolleys was carried out. Later, the beautiful entrance portal was destroyed. For some time, the adit housed a warehouse of explosives for the needs of the deepening quarry.
During the liquidation of the Goroblagodatsky Ore Administration, the entrance to the adit was filled up. Nowadays, you can get into it through a narrow manhole. The accessible part is about 110 meters, ending in a landslide.
3. Kushva plant
On the territory of the old Kushvinsky plant (since 1964, the Kushvinsky mill of rolling rolls has been located here), some pre-revolutionary workshops have been preserved - excellent examples of industrial architecture. Here you can see the old buildings of the power plant, boiler room, the ruins of an open-hearth shop and some others.
4. Pervomayskaya Street
The most interesting street in Kushva is Pervomayskaya. This was the main street of pre-revolutionary Kushva. During its history, it has changed several names: Market, Trading, Main, Bazaar. On Pervomaiskaya there were: the administration of the Kushvinsky plant and the Goroblagodatsky mining district, the administration of the Theological railway, the volost administration of the Kushvinsky volost, the treasury, the postal and telegraph office, the city school, the women's gymnasium, and numerous houses of wealthy merchants. Many buildings of the 19th - early 20th centuries have survived.
Unfortunately, most of the old houses are in extremely poor condition. Beautiful buildings that have seen a lot in their lifetime are now abandoned and are gradually being destroyed. Some of them have been damaged by fires and are in ruins. They look like they've been bombed. A depressing sight.
5. Empty pedestals
On Pervomayskaya Street, you can see two empty pedestals. On one, even before the revolution, there was a monument to Alexander III (and then a bust of Karl Marx), and on the other - a monument to V.I. Lenin. Both monuments were destroyed in the 1990s, and now Kushva is often called the city of empty pedestals.
Near the house on the street. Builders, 2 is a 68-pound ship bombing cannon, cast in 1852 at the Verkhneturinsk plant. Such a gun could launch a bomb weighing more than 23 kg at a distance of up to 2 km.
7. Monument to the Fighters for Soviet Power
At the corner of Stroiteley and Krasnoarmeyskaya streets there is the administration building of the Kushvinsky urban district. In front of him is the Soviet Square, on which there is a monument to the Fighters for Soviet Power. Here is depicted a Red Army soldier in an overcoat and a Budenovka with a saber raised above his head. The monument was opened in 1973, created by the sculptor E. Egorov. This is the most monumental monument in the city.